Apr 4, 2008

I have an opinion...read at your own risk.

OK, so...if you're a friend of mine, I'm sorry ahead of time and please know that the person with "depth" that you know and love is STILL in here...but this blog may be a little shallow and narrow minded and stereo-typish. And mom, I know you check in from time to time as well and I said I didn't care. Well, for all of you...I ask you to accept this blog for what it is...a momentary rant about a newly found/understood opinion on something I never really even thought to have an opinion on before but happen to think I'm right as usual type of thingy. Whew...onward we go.

SO, I'm almost officially divorced. Matter of days now. This seems to invite questions about my willingness, anticipation, desire to start dating. The EASY answer is...I'm not dating and I've got plenty to keep me busy without dating and I don't have an absolute answer for your questions because I just don't know and I don't sit around planning it out. THAT SAID...I have developed an opinion. I'll probably get raked over the coals by a few ppl for this opinion, but that's all it is. An opinion. Maybe even a little rant?

SO, I'm thinking that a single 28 year old man is probably more mature than a single 38 year old man. Yep, I said it. Or at least that's what I've been observing. Here's my theory. A 28 year old man is kinda at that age that he's probably not been married before, but he's totally ready and wants the American Dream. He's a "man" now and ready to settle down in career, family, etc. Well, the 38 year old "single" men are probably divorced, probably don't have their children living with them and have probably re-entered the club scene. It's easy for them. They don't have the same responsibilies as before. (Now, I'm not trying to make light of them not having their kids, that's a whole 'nother blog and it makes me sad. Stick to subject at hand.) They're like over-grown little boys at recess...only I guess that little boys at recess aren't ending the night having sex with random women -or women that you know "really well" because you've been chatting on myspace or hanging at the clubs 3 whole weeks together. YES, I said that too! And on that note, just because you have sex with one woman for 2 months and had a "real" relationship before changing women in a week doesn't make you any less of a ho. (None of this is even mentioning the ego-entrancing attention they get from younger women. Um, can you guys say "sugah-daddy" LOL. I'm pretty sure if I get attention from a younger guy he's not thinking I can support his artificial nail and shoe fetish.)

There's some kind of notion that just because a woman is divorced she will be free to re-enter club/and/or dating scene as well. Gotta admit, I LOVE to dance, I LOVE to hang out with friends, I LOVE to laugh, and if I'm there, I guarantee I'll be the life of the party and you won't want me to leave. But I will. And chances are I won't be there. I'm a mom. I'm an adult. I have responsibilities that involve others than myself and I kinda value relationships at a different level. As much fun as a night out may be, I'll get over it. I won't need to do it every other night or even every week. I'm in a different league and not going backwards.

SO...does this mean that I eventually find a 28 year old man (not 22-25, because they're still kids and have invented this word MILF which I have been called many times and I don't like to be called names so there...)? Simple answer is NO...it just means I have a newly-found opinion.

6 comments:

Kelley said...

Hmmm . . .interesting rant!

Jules said...

ya thinks? me-thinks u knows me well...

Anonymous said...

Just ran across yours... definitely go with the 28 year old... he will appreciate you for who you are and love you like no other... plus he won't need you to mother him like the 38-year old during his mid-life crisis...

Jules said...

Interesting comment "anonymous"...Hmm, yea, I get the 38 yr old mid life crisis... BUT...I'm not buying the line "he will appreciate you for who you are and love you like no other..." But thanks for the comment. I'm thinking a 32 year old is a happy medium. TOTALLY KIDDING. I don't need ANY OF 'EM at the moment...

Dubber said...

Hi Julie/Jules/Julieo :)

I followed the trail of electronic breadcrumbs from Kelley's blog to your little neck o' the blogosphere, so you can blame her for my intrusion. ;)

Speaking as a former 28- and 38 year-old guy, I'd like to offer that maturity is wholly independent of age, and age is largely irrelevant to relationships once you're out of your 20's.

I have no doubt that you can find 28 year-old guys who are "men" by your definition, though I suspect a fair percentage are still "boys" by virtue of their desire to keep their options open. Likewise, I'm quite certain there are 38 year-old "boys" out there who are caught up in their new-found freedom, though I suspect a fair percentage are still "men" because they're mindful of their responsibilities to themselves, their children and those in their life. In short, when it comes to maturity and men, your mileage may vary.

Jules said...

"I'd like to offer that maturity is wholly independent of age"...absolutely true Dubber (and thanks for following the breadcrumbs...my blogosphere gets lonely)...this point is exactly why I couldn't just leave it as an opinion without including the possibility that it was more of a rant.

I'll pro'ly continue to rant time and again...