Sep 9, 2008

Houston, We Have Contact...And I am thankful.

The Title, just a tease of the ramblings going on in my mind.

Wow, it is a perfect beautiful day. I put a status update on my Myspace profile that says "I want to drop the top, drive the five, chat with the sea lions, go to the Rodeo, and eat pizza on that corner in La Jolla. But, I'm mowing."

Truth of the matter is, I enjoyed mowing. I really need none of the other stuff to feel content at the moment. (Although I really like the sound of it all.) I woke up this morning in a fog. A very sleepy fog. Partly due to the "contact" I referred to, which had me staring at the ceiling until about 2:45 am for the 2nd night in a row. So, I was tired. But also partly due to the fact that I haven't been embracing contentedness. Or thankfulness. I'm thankful for the yard I have to mow.

Shortly after I awoke, I received a text from a person I know telling me that a friend of ours' mother had passed away yesterday. The person sending the text has had her share of loss this past year as well, losing both her father and step dad whom she was very close with. I ended our series of texts saying that I was going to be thankful today.

Houston, we have contact. Yes. Contact. Finally. Although, I don't even need to ask myself the question (unless I want the world to know how ridiculously stupid I am capable of being) of whether a drunk text is worth considering contact. Not even like a "drunk text" with innuendos. Rather a sole text reading "I'm drunk." Nice. But this didn't anger me. Rather I was thankful. I was thankful for the contact in some strange way. Saddened by the literal text. The person on the other end isn't enjoying contentedness either. I think they believe they are and I could surely be wrong. But this person is not a big drinker. Hasn't been who they are. I'm open to change. We don't have to "stay who we've been". But any time it's becoming someone we aren't, it can't be right. Right? It made me sad. I miss this person very much. But I was thankful. For contact.

Then I got to thinking. Along with this thankful, contentedness, and even sad feeling. I'll bet others think the same of me. I hope I'm not making someone sad by not being available. By not being myself. A good friend told me that I'm going to find out what I'm made of. I want to be made of thankfulness. I want that to be a huge part of who I am.

I received another text while pondering all of this on my morning drive. From a friend that was just texting to say she loves me. And she does. And somehow, she always picks the right moments to let me know that I am loved. Thankful for my friends. I received another text (well, I"m actually collecting a few of these into one thought) from a friend recently diagnosed with cancer. For the 2nd time. He always asks how "I'm" doing. Really? That's inspiring no? He lives his life thankful. He is not well. But he is thankful for friends and life and I'm pretty sure God.

My daughter's teacher called. She didn't finish her math homework again. AND she lied to me about it. (I asked her 4 times if she was sure it was done and I didn't check because we've talked about trust. And possibly because I was in a funk and just didn't.) The teacher is going to team with me to get her on the up and up. She is willing to check her backpack EVERY day before leaving and every day when returning. Our hope is that daughter will not enjoy this and will take the responsibility. I am thankful for her teacher.

I am rambling now as well and have no time to proof, edit and make more sense of my thoughts because I'm going to pick up those little ones I'm most thankful for. I could leave it here and edit, etc later. But nah. I'm posting. I plan to enjoy more of this beautiful weather, hug my kids, and make weekend plans with new friends I'm going to be thankful for :)

Thankfully, finished.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you!! ;) I am so glad that you are my friend!

Jules said...

you and your wonderful timing! I love you girl!!!!